Name:
Location: Uralsk, Kazakhstan

My address! Rachael Schmidt 106 Dimitrieva St. P.O Box 56 Uralsk 417 000 Kazakhstan

Friday, July 09, 2004

What a life!

Life in Issyk

All in all, this is quite an amazing village, as long as you love mountains, cows, children, and not being able to speak the language. What can I say? I love it!
Every morning I wake to the light of the sun. I’ve yet to set my alarm clock. I then take a walk to my favorite hole in the backyard for official morning business. My host father (Suliman) is always up well before me tending to the animals and me. He heats a bucket of water for me so I can wash up. What a guy! After that comes the real challenge; finding clean clothes. Once I find something that isn’t too dirty and smelly I throw it own and pretend not to mind.
Next; breakfast. By this time my host mother is up fixing my breakfast. She’s such a sweet woman and I really, REALLY wish she wouldn’t do that, but when in Rome. So, the entire table is set for a king. I’m usually served what we had for dinner the night before. Not typical breakfast food, but it’s very good. And this, as all meals is followed by a cup of tea.
While I’m eating, Sonya (host mother) makes my lunch; usually just enough to feed a large army. Since the first day I’ve always brought home what I don’t eat thinking that she’ll stop packing so much. Still working on that one. Then, both mama and papa walk me to the street, mama gives me a kiss and hug, and I’m off. A brisk, half hour walk to school.
School. Six days a week of intense and long classes. I absolutely love language class and my teacher. It’s the technical classes (education), health classes and meetings that drive me to the point of insanity. On days when it’s just language class there are only 12 students at my school. The other 30 live in other villages where they have their own language class and teacher.
The majority of volunteers are young, immature and just out of college. Hence, they know it al. So I try to avoid large group activities. Unfortunately my two best buddies are in other villages as well. So we usually only see each other with the rest of the herd. But, that’s alright.
Language class. Of course it has to be intense. We have 10 weeks to learn 2 years worth of the Russian language. This is my favorite part. It also helps being just a bit more advanced than the other students when it comes to language. Once again, thank you Lois!!!! There is, however, a certain someone in my class of 6 people. You Seinfeld fans will appreciate this one! It’s none other than Uncle Leo!! I wish I were joking. The man is severely ADD, hard of hearing, and possesses no social grace, much less, awareness whatsoever! It provides many laughs, but even more frustrations. The entire Peace Corps staff and volunteers are well aware of the problem, but no one wants to address it. And no one can explain or remotely understand how he made it in. Would you care for a sample?? We took a field trip to Almaty. This city is an hour from Issyk and is the biggest city in all of Central Asia. We were passing a huge statue when Uncle Leo asks me who it is. How and why the hell I would know, is beyond me. So, I tell him, “Oh, that’s my brother.” Well, he believed it.
After school, it’s back home. I’ve never had such a strict and enforced curfew in allllll my life! If I say I’ll be home by six, I better be home before six. One time, I got really crazy and came home an hour late! They had called everyone except for my brother in Almaty asking about my whereabouts. That was a first AND a last time. At least I know if I were to be MIA, the search party would not be far behind. So, on days when I’m on time, I’m greeted by mama with a hug and kiss. The women are very affectionate with other woman. Certainly doesn’t bother me any.